httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject trunk "ping" for http proxy
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:41:09 GMT
As many know, one thing I've wanted in httpd's proxy for
http is a sort of pre-request ping option (ala what we
have for ajp) and nothing ever worked out fine, for a variety
of reasons.

Anyway, I've gone back to an idea I had a long while ago
and one which ACO and Filip Hanik and I have played around
with and it's very simple: for backends which are http/1.1,
simply use a 100-Continue. If the backend is alive (and
compliant) we should semi-immediately continue with the
request, otherwise we can assume it's down (or so loaded
that it times out) and choose another backend.

I'd like to get this in 2.3.7 before I T&R it, and it will
be optional behavior, not the default, but wanted to give
people a head's up beforehand.