httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: _default_ and * in vhost hostnames
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2010 01:16:19 GMT
On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Dan Poirier <poirier@pobox.com> wrote:
> Suppose we just make _default_ a synonym of * in virtual host hostnames?

+1, I still never found a practical purpose for two wildcards.

I tend to think of having only one kind of vhost that undergoes
ip-based selection, then optionally further selection based on name,
if the best addr:port match landed on a string that matches a
configured NVH directive.

The only config I am aware of broken by this is something degenerate
with "NVH _default_:80"  and overlapping *:80 or _default_:80 where
all but the first vhost are dead code today but wouldn't be with NVH
*:80

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com