httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Dumpleton <graham.dumple...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Failing startup for vhost configuration problems
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2010 10:31:07 GMT
On Thursday, August 5, 2010, Niklas Edmundsson <nikke@acc.umu.se> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2010, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
>

> On Thursday, August 5, 2010, Stefan Fritsch <sf@sfritsch.de> wrote:
>
> On Tuesday 03 August 2010, Dan Poirier wrote:
>
> I'd like to propose that in 2.3/2.4, we fail startup for any of the
> virtual host misconfigurations for which behavior is undefined but
> right now we only issue a warning.
>
> <snip>
>
> Perhaps warnings around bad MPM configuration can be reviewed as well.
>
> From memory it doesn't at the moment warn you when something like
>
> StartServers is set over what it can be based on MaxClients and
> ThreadsPerChild. I think it may just silently reduce the value. Since
> MPM settings are often misunderstood, better hints about bad
> configuration there would be useful.
>

> +1 on both suggestions. This would be a good time to change/improve on this front.

Another thing which would be nice related to MPM settings and other
core settings is the ability to do:

  httpd -t -DDUMP_CORE_CONFIG

The idea being that in doing this it would log what all the MPM
related settings are, ie. The final result of taking user settings,
applying defaults where no user supplied settings, plus any
adjustments due to stupid settings. Add to that critical core settings
which come into play as to performance of a site such as Timeout,
KeepAlive, KeepAliveTimeout, ListenBacklog, EnableSendFile etc.

This way when trying to assist someone to understand whether their
configuration is appropriate one can get all the key important
settings easily and not have to get them to troll through their
configuration files, work out whether they are even being included,
adding defaults for things not set etc.

All up this would certainly make the job of helping newbies work out
how they screwed up there site by changing these settings in the first
place, a lot easier.

Graham