httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Dumpleton <graham.dumple...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Failing startup for vhost configuration problems
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2010 21:00:33 GMT
On Thursday, August 5, 2010, Stefan Fritsch <sf@sfritsch.de> wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 August 2010, Dan Poirier wrote:
>> I'd like to propose that in 2.3/2.4, we fail startup for any of the
>> virtual host misconfigurations for which behavior is undefined but
>> right now we only issue a warning.
>>
>> E.g. no VirtualHosts matching a NameVirtualHost, overlapping
>> VirtualHosts, use of _default_ in NameVirtualHost, mixing * and
>> non-* ports in name-based virtual hosts.
>>
>> The rationale is that these configurations are unsupported, the
>> behavior is undefined, and presumably they are the result of
>> errors, so better to make sure the admin corrects the error than
>> to continue and probably not behave as the admin expects.
>>
>> A new major version seems like a good time for a change like this.
>
> Makes sense. If one of the restriction turns out to be too painful in
> practice, we can always allow that case again.

Perhaps warnings around bad MPM configuration can be reviewed as well.
>From memory it doesn't at the moment warn you when something like
StartServers is set over what it can be based on MaxClients and
ThreadsPerChild. I think it may just silently reduce the value. Since
MPM settings are often misunderstood, better hints about bad
configuration there would be useful.

Graham