httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: trunk "ping" for http proxy
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:30:31 GMT

On Aug 16, 2010, at 10:56 AM, Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group wrote:

> This basicly sums up the downsides of this approach I see as well.
>
> IMHO to avoid a spec violation we can only add the Expect header to
> requests with request bodies. OTOH these requests hurt most when they
> fail as we cannot sent the request body for a second time, because
> we do not have it any longer available in most situations and requests
> with request bodies are usually not idempotent.
>
> On the second issue we only need to take care that we do not add something
> already there and remove something that client expects to see.
>
> One last thing I see is that this only works if the backend is HTTP/1.1:
>
> 8.2.3
>
> - If the proxy knows that the version of the next-hop server is HTTP/1.0 or lower
>  , it MUST NOT forward the request and it MUST respond with a 417 (Expectation Failed)
>  status.

Yes, the code itself is aware of the limitations of 100-Continue,
including version and req body considerations... It's not ideal,
but it's better than the OPTIONS method which I played around
with earlier...

Still I think it's useful to add it in, have it disabled by
default, and see how far we can take it...