httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: httpd trunk broken with Subversion: ap_log_rerror busted
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2010 19:14:55 GMT

> On 8/25/2010 9:56 AM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>> This is the crux of my concern - "should" improve performance at the
>> very substantial cost of increasing complexity for understanding the
>> codebase (especially without comments).
>
> That is nonsense; providing debug-level granularity of one module and one
> module alone (or a specific set of modules) is vastly more efficient than
> turning an entire server (or vhost context) into debug level granularity.

I guess his comment was more about the macro wrappers and the C99 stuff,
which saves us the function call if we would not log due to the loglevel
currently set. I think this is one aspect of the changes and one were
we might lack a prove that it really improves performance.
The second aspect is to be able to configure the log level per module / per directory.
IMHO it is obvious as you say that this improves performance when you can limit
the debug or even higher levels to the area where you need more details.
Plus it makes the debug output far more usable if you do not have to look up
the stuff you are interested in in tons of stuff that is not interesting to you.

Regards

RĂ¼diger