httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [PRERELEASE TARBALLS] httpd-2.3.8
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2010 17:52:44 GMT
On 8/25/2010 12:50 AM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> Very valid reasons and I am as a 'Unix' guy not hurt that much by the stopped
> bundling of PCRE. OTOH there seems to be a real problem on Netware and
> Windows and we might should spend some time in providing better build
> instructions / scripts how to get PCRE build easily on Windows / Netware.

I believe we can do this following the pattern I established for handling the
quirks of building zlib or openssl to include symbolic debugging info.

http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/patches_applied/ has contained
*build* patches for both openssl and zlib; thanks to the zlib project these are
now all moved upstream, not quite so for openssl but I continue to advocate for
their inclusion.

-1 to including PCRE in our svn or .tar.gz (-deps or similar).  I'm willing to
consider the benefits of then adding the currently-shipping PCRE to a packaged
-win32-src.zip package if this makes things more approachable, but that's a
separate discussion.

Note zlib and openssl haven't been distributed, and IMHO, neither should PCRE.