httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Plan to T&R 2.3.8
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 05:56:09 GMT

On 08/23/2010 06:53 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:
> On 23.08.2010 15:56, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> Either today or tomorrow I will be tagging and rolling httpd-2.3.8
>>
>> Just a head's up.
>
> I played a bit with the new http proxy ping. If it is activated and the
> proxy receives a POST request via HTTP/1.1, it always returns "HTTP/1.1
> 100 Continue" to the original client, independent of whether the client
> itself requested this (Expect header set or not) and independent of
> whether a timeout occured during the backend ping.

My thought on Jim's original intention was that this should not happen and
that this 100 Continue should be swallowed by the proxy if the proxy added
the Expect header.

> RFC 2616 says in 8.2.3:
>
>       - An origin server SHOULD NOT send a 100 (Continue) response if
>         the request message does not include an Expect request-header
>         field with the "100-continue" expectation, ...

SHOULD NOT does not sound good.

>         There is an exception to this rule: for
>         compatibility with RFC 2068, a server MAY send a 100 (Continue)
>         status in response to an HTTP/1.1 PUT or POST request that does
>         not include an Expect request-header field with the "100-
>         continue" expectation. This exception, the purpose of which is
>         to minimize any client processing delays associated with an
>         undeclared wait for 100 (Continue) status, applies only to
>         HTTP/1.1 requests, and not to requests with any other HTTP-
>         version value.

This sounds better, but requires us to check that our client sent in
a HTTP/1.1 request.

Regards

RĂ¼diger