httpd-dev mailing list archives

From jean-frederic clere <jfcl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: trunk "ping" for http proxy
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 06:52:11 GMT
On 08/17/2010 05:42 AM, Paul Querna wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Andrew Oliver <acoliver@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Note that it is an option, not a default setting.  The problem with
>> the heartbeat bit which Red Hat/JBoss use is the unstandardized
>> proprietary protocol required (http://jboss.org/mod_cluster) with
>> separate logic to manage it.
>
> No, in 2.3/trunk, there is a bundled module to provide this in httpd:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/cluster/mod_heartmonitor.c
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/proxy/balancers/mod_lbmethod_heartbeat.c

There is even the code in Tomcat to work with the mod_lbmethod_heartbeat
balancer provider see
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/ha/backend.

Additionally I added code in trunk (long ago) so Paul's stuff doesn't
requires multicast.

Trying from the front-end to guess the state of the back-end is tricky,
basically all the tricks we try with AJP or this "ping" for http proxy
will just check the socket and/or the availability of the back-end....
Well that is already a lot.

Speaking about mod_cluster:
If there is enough interest I can donate the C part of mod_cluster to
httpd (after porting it to trunk) and contribute a listener in TC7 and
kind of heartbeat for httpd backend to allow to experiment the concepts.

Cheers

Jean-Frederic