httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: AP_REG_* compile flags
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2010 14:19:15 GMT
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 10:05:30 -0400
Dan Poirier <poirier@pobox.com> wrote:

> > Our documentation and widespread usage include not just these,
> > but also AP_REG_EXTENDED and AP_REG_NOSUB, which are ignored
> > in util_pcre.
> >
> > I presume the unused flags are a historic legacy and can usefully
> > be removed from the docs.  But I wonder if they should also be
> > expunged from trunk ap_regex.h, to clean up the legacy?
>
> +1.  If they're not implemented, clean 'em out.

Bah.  Seems I was talking mostly nonsense, not having revisited
them since ... well, I guess since regexp stuff was moved into
AP_* namespace in the move from 2.0 to 2.2.  Seems the only
documentation featuring the spurious flags is external
(though they're still widely-used in the code).

Perhaps this makes exactly my point: unused flags should be
undefined to alert developers to stop using them.

--
Nick Kew