httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: Error log format configuration syntax
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2010 19:14:15 GMT
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, Rainer Jung wrote:
> message and behind the message. I guess you can get rid of the latter split
> by assigning a format specifier also to the log message, like '%M' or
> similar, and then
>
> ErrorLogFormat "[%{u}t] [%l] [pid %P%{:tid }T] %F: %{}{: }E%{[client }{] }a
> %M %{}{, referer: }i"

Doing it with two config directives was more straightforward to implement,
but I agree that the configuration would be easier to read with a format
specifier for the log message.

> Maybe questioning, how important the configurable pre and suffixes are. We
> could either provide fixed ones for the individual log patterns, or we could
> provide none and indeed log an empty string or "-" if we don't have a value.
> I'd say both ways are viable. I guess some users would find it nice to have a
> fixed column format until the error message begins, so it's easier to parse
> by script, others will find it more readable if the empty fields get
> suppressed (condensed format).
>
> What about:
>
> - Allow to choose whether empty values get dropped (one configuration switch
> to choose the condensed format)
>
> - taking all adjacent non-whitespace as prefixes and suffixes, collapse
> resulting adjacent whitespace in the output by adding the whitespace in front
> of the prefix to the prefix and dropping leading whitespace from the
> resulting line)

Thats a very interesting idea. Taking it one step further, one could
introduce a meta-character (e.g. ^) for separating the fields. If a format
specifier produces no output, everything from the previous to the next
field separator gets deleted. For example:

ErrorLogFormat "[%{u}t] [%l] [pid %P^:tid %T^] ^%F: ^%E: ^[client %a] ^%M ^, referer: %{Referer}i"

That's quite readable. I will check how much effort this is to implement.

Cheers,
Stefan