httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ondřej Surý <ond...@sury.org>
Subject Re: Per request DocumentRoot
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 12:38:54 GMT
On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 13:32, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> On 7/6/2010 12:24 PM, Anders Kaseorg wrote:
>> On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 10:50 +0200, Ondřej Surý wrote:
>>> I am a author of mod-vhost-ldap module and I have received complaints
>>> about DocumentRoot being unstable. After a fixing of dozen bugs and
>>> further debugging I have found out, that DocumentRoot is shared per
>>> process and not per thread and thus I am unable to fix that as a
>>> self-contained fix, since ap_document_root gets overwritten under a
>>> heavy load.
>>
>> FWIW, when I ran into this problem in mod-vhost-ldap, I fixed it by
>> making a copy of the entire server_rec structure in the request pool.
>> My mod-vhost-ldap patch is below.

Thanks for the patch, I'll merge it into mod-vhost-ldap. I was blind
:), thanks for kicking me into right direction.

> That's the way to approach it, mod_ftp does the same.

Anyway it seems to be a little overkill to copy whole server structure
for each request. So I would like to "fix" that properly.

> We could do something interesting with moving this to the req rec in 2.4
> (on 2.3 trunk) but it wouldn't solve your issue today with 2.2 or 2.0,
> which will not change.

I am fine with that it doesn't get into 2.2 or 2.0. But I think that
fixing this in the right place would allow all other vhost modules to
benefit from that. mod-vhost-alias could be fixed as well.

Just a side note: I would be willing to donate whole mod-vhost-ldap
code to ASF. Is there an interested to merge external modules like
this?

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>