httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release httpd 2.2.16
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2010 02:17:45 GMT
On 21.07.2010 20:45, Paul Querna wrote:
> Test tarballs for Apache httpd 2.2.16 are available at:
>   <http://httpd.apache.org/dev/dist/>
>
> Your votes please;
>
>   +/- 1
>   [  ]  Release httpd-2.2.16
>
> Vote closes at 02:00 UTC on Saturday July 24 2010.

Just a quick info in case someone else also runs into this: there's a
problem with the builtin expat configure because buildconf.sh was run
using libtool 2 but isn't really ready for this. It's a regression from
2.2.15, which has been rolled using libtool 1.

Error message:

.../configure: line 2409: syntax error near unexpected token
`lt_decl_varnames,'
.../configure: line 2409: `lt_if_append_uniq(lt_decl_varnames, SHELL, , ,'

As far as I can see, the root cause is the following:

libtool 2 split up the m4 macros into various files. The above error
shows, that ltsugar.m4 hasn't been incorporated correctly. Looking at
buildconf.sh in xml/expat, it assumes that "libtoolize --copy" copies
the file in and then appends it to aclocal.m4. But libtoolize does *not*
copy the file in.

buildconf.sh runs libtoolize with "--automake" which in libtool 2 is
simply an alias for "--quiet". If one drops the flag, then "libtoolize
--copy" happily informs us:

libtoolize: You should add the contents of the following files to
`aclocal.m4':
libtoolize:   `.../share/aclocal/ltoptions.m4'
libtoolize:   `.../share/aclocal/ltversion.m4'
libtoolize:   `.../share/aclocal/ltsugar.m4'
libtoolize:   `.../share/aclocal/lt~obsolete.m4'
libtoolize: Consider adding `AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])' to configure.in and
libtoolize: rerunning libtoolize, to keep the correct libtool macros
in-tree.
libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.

OK, so adding "AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR(.)" to configure.in, e.g. after the
line "AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR(conftools)" indeed lets libtoolize copy the m4
files to the expat directory, where buildconf.sh expects them.

Finally a little experiment shows, that all five m4 files should be
copied into aclocal.m4:

libtool.m4
ltsugar.m4
ltoptions.m4
ltversion.m4
lt~obsolete.m4

I expect that's also the reason for BZ49053.

Side note: configure.in in apr contain the line

eval `grep "^shlibpath_var=[[A-Z_]]*$" $apr_builddir/libtool`

but libtool is only generated when AC_OUTPUT is called at the end of the
file. So the "grep" has to fail, and indeed:

grep: can't open .../httpd-2.2.16/srclib/apr/libtool

The shlibpath_var is detected correctly nevertheless :)

Regards,

Rainer