httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Ruggeri <DRugg...@primary.net>
Subject Re: 2.3 upgrade on apache.org
Date Sun, 18 Jul 2010 19:55:35 GMT
> On 7/18/2010 12:58 PM, Paul Querna wrote:
>
>> We have now disabled Sendfile on apache.org, and the load average
>> dropped from ~80 to 0.35.
>>
> Wow.
>
> Is it unreasonable for us to change the API to disable sendfile as the default
> from 2.3-alphas forward?
>
> The feature is loaded with simply too many gotchas - NFS mounts, broken kernels,
> and although we don't need to remove it, and can encourage people to use it with
> caution, it doesn't seem rational to leave such an unintuitive choice up to the
> novice/beginning user.
>
> Comments?

I agree whole heartedly. I was caught by a broken implementation of
sendfile on a certain kernel for some kind of Business Machine of the
International variety. It took a fair amount of non-trivial debugging to
identify the culprit - something I doubt should be expected from the
general populace.
--
Daniel Ruggeri