httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Ruggeri <DRugg...@primary.net>
Subject Re: Missing proxy_balancer feature
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2010 01:14:45 GMT

On 6/30/2010 7:34 AM, jean-frederic clere wrote:
> On 06/30/2010 04:17 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>
>> Yet again, in class another student pointed out that the Enabled/Disabled
>> choice in mod_proxy_balancer totally ignores the concept of quiescing,
>> where we are taking a server offline, but continuing to serve those
>> requests targeted by session to that server.  Once the number of sessions
>> settles on something quite low, the user then takes that server offline
>> entirely and the remaining users are subjected to 'expired session' results.
>>
>> A boolean Enabled/Disabled flag doesn't address this need.
>>
>> Does anyone feel like working on this feature, since those I had
>> previously approached didn't have all that much interest, or got
>> busy with other things?
>>

> There are several things that requires improvements:
> 1 - The default load balancing logic doesn't work well when you restart
> a back-end node.

> Cheers
>
> Jean-Frederic

Jean-Frederic;
    Can you elaborate more on point 1? I have had issues where a back
end application was not ready during a restart and throws a 503 to
Apache. Since this is a perfectly valid response to the proxied request,
Apache happily sends it along to the user. I wrote a bug (48939) and
submitted a patch that creates a configuration directive to help
mitigate this issue which is the most significant issue I have come
across during a simple back end restart. The patch is currently proposed
in STATUS, but has not received votes to go forward (or stay in STATUS).
--
Daniel Ruggeri