httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What's next for 2.2 and 2.3/trunk?
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2010 00:40:14 GMT

On Jun 1, 2010, at 9:08 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Considering that 2.3/trunk is back to limbo-land, I'd like
> to propose that we be more "aggressive" is backporting some
> items. Even if under experimental, it would be nice if slotmem
> and socache were backported. I also like the refactoring of
> the providers for proxy in trunk as compared to 2.2, but
> last time I suggested it, it looked like 2.3/2.4 was close(r)
> to reality...
>
> comments...?

Amusingly (at least to me), I happened upon an old post by Joel Spolsky from 2002:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/PickingShipDate.html

"For Systems With Millions of Customers and Millions of Integration Points, Prefer Rare Releases.
 You can do it like Apache: one release at the beginning of the Internet Bubble, and one release
at the end.  Perfect."

I personally think we have enough to release for users to chew on:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/new_features_2_4.html

PHP should largely move to FastCGI, so module compatibility should not be a problem.  Any
idea about other popular modules?  WSGI?  mod_perl?  Are they ready for HEAD?

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@apache.org