httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: What's next for 2.2 and 2.3/trunk?
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2010 14:15:51 GMT

On Jun 2, 2010, at 8:40 PM, Sander Temme wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2010, at 9:08 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
>> Considering that 2.3/trunk is back to limbo-land, I'd like
>> to propose that we be more "aggressive" is backporting some
>> items. Even if under experimental, it would be nice if slotmem
>> and socache were backported. I also like the refactoring of
>> the providers for proxy in trunk as compared to 2.2, but
>> last time I suggested it, it looked like 2.3/2.4 was close(r)
>> to reality...
>>
>> comments...?
>
> Amusingly (at least to me), I happened upon an old post by Joel Spolsky from 2002:
>
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/PickingShipDate.html
>
> "For Systems With Millions of Customers and Millions of Integration Points, Prefer Rare
Releases.  You can do it like Apache: one release at the beginning of the Internet Bubble,
and one release at the end.  Perfect."

> I personally think we have enough to release for users to chew on:
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/new_features_2_4.html
>
> PHP should largely move to FastCGI, so module compatibility should not be a problem.
 Any idea about other popular modules?  WSGI?  mod_perl?  Are they ready for HEAD?

That's a good question, but until we get a version of httpd 2.3/2.4/trunk
out in people's hands with some confidence that "what you are testing
is pretty close to what it will be, API-wise", we'll never know.
If I was just a module developer, I wouldn't be wasting my time
following trunk either, due to our track record ;)