httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: C as config
Date Sun, 06 Jun 2010 12:03:28 GMT
On 05 Jun 2010, at 12:21 AM, Akins, Brian wrote:

> So, we thought about "wouldn't it just be cool if Apache had VCL."
> Then I
> thought, I already know C, why do I need to learn a meta-language
> that just
> writes C???  "Won't someone think of the users!" I could here all of
> the
> #httpd folks saying.
>
> Not a terribly interesting read, but we are seriously considering
> just using
> straight C with some helper functions and macros as the "config" for
> one of
> our projects.

We've also been playing with Varnish, one of the cooler things it does
is have the ability to suck up an entire response into a RAM buffer
and releasing the backend before playing out the response to the
browser. I've looked, and we can do this pretty trivially in httpd as
a simple connection filter.

Very useful for expensive backends like php, instead of waiting many
hundreds or thousands of milliseconds for the client to eventually
close the connection before cleaning up the request pool and release
php resources, you dump the response into a connection buffer, and
destroy the request pool asap.

> And, for the record I was wrong in the past - yes, async is the
> answer...

With multi-core architectures, we're finding that humble worker on our
commodity hardware is as fast or faster than our load balancers.

Regards,
Graham