httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r951222 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES modules/cache/mod_disk_cache.c
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2010 20:39:14 GMT
On 07 Jun 2010, at 8:19 AM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> I still fail to see how to integrate this easily with the current
> mod_cache
> API, since you sure want to use all the generic freshness checks
> within
> mod_cache. And if a copy is seen as fresh it is simply served.
> But I guess this now goes OT and it would be better to discuss this
> in a
> separate thread as soon as someone offers an implementation to
> actually
> cache 206's. It is easier to discuss the exact code then.
> Does someone actually plan to do this?

I may need to do this soon. We have been promoting the use of inline
HTTP caching within our service oriented platform, and have been
stress testing mod_cache quite significantly in the process. We
deliver all sorts of content, including video file fragments.

One of the things that needs to be fixed is the current situation
where a cached entity has one header file and one data file. This
creates races in the cache. What really needs to happen is that there
is one header file only, and the data file has a unique name contained
in the header file, so that a second new data file can be safely moved
into place at leisure without affecting the original data file, and
the corresponding headers file renamed in atomically.

I predict this won't be a backportable change, so I'm getting the
backportable fixes done first before I attempt this.

Regards,
Graham