httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Chernyshev <sergey.chernys...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fast by default
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2010 19:46:48 GMT
On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 3:24 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>wrote:

> Legitimate hosting providers must do their research and understand the
> product, it's not ment for such consumption "out of the box".

I do not agree here - you're not asking hosting providers to do research on
every aspect of HTTP.

Why do you think that correct mime-types or file security setup is OK to
have as default while correct compression is not?

I understand that httpd as a product can be tweaked in millions of different
ways, but see no reason why it can't adhere to quality and best practices by
default.

> Neither are the root-owned files of your typical operating system, either.

BTW, root-owned files of your typical operating system have some things
configured by default and distro-packager (for example Red Hat, in case of
Linux) is taking care of best practices for performance, security and so on
while sys-admins are configuring them further for users to be secure and so
on.

          Sergey