httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Dumpleton <graham.dumple...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What's next for 2.2 and 2.3/trunk?
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2010 01:05:22 GMT
On 3 June 2010 10:40, Sander Temme <sctemme@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2010, at 9:08 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
>> Considering that 2.3/trunk is back to limbo-land, I'd like
>> to propose that we be more "aggressive" is backporting some
>> items. Even if under experimental, it would be nice if slotmem
>> and socache were backported. I also like the refactoring of
>> the providers for proxy in trunk as compared to 2.2, but
>> last time I suggested it, it looked like 2.3/2.4 was close(r)
>> to reality...
>>
>> comments...?
>
> Amusingly (at least to me), I happened upon an old post by Joel Spolsky from 2002:
>
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/PickingShipDate.html
>
> "For Systems With Millions of Customers and Millions of Integration Points, Prefer Rare
Releases.  You can do it like Apache: one release at the beginning of the Internet Bubble,
and one release at the end.  Perfect."

> I personally think we have enough to release for users to chew on:
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/new_features_2_4.html
>
> PHP should largely move to FastCGI, so module compatibility should not be a problem.
 Any idea about other popular modules?  WSGI?  mod_perl?  Are they ready for HEAD?

By you mentioning WSGI, are you asking whether mod_wsgi works against 2.3 trunk?

If you are, the answer is that mod_wsgi trunk should work. Ie.,
unreleased version.

Official tar ball releases of mod_wsgi will not work because of
changes a while back in 2.3 to eliminate ap_accept_lock_mech from
public API.

If 2.3 is going to start progressing again before mod_wsgi 4.0 is
released, I can always backport workaround for that to mod_wsgi 3.X
branch.

FWIW, although I haven't tried it, I suspect that even mod_python
trunk will not build against Apache 2.3 as it makes use of ap_requires
which vanished in 2.3.

Graham