httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fast by default
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 14:44:02 GMT
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 8:40 AM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> Geez, Eric. No wonder people don't want to contribute to httpd, when they
> run into an attitude like yours. That dismissiveness makes me embarressed
> for our community.

Congeniality lesson noted, but not in the way you probably intended.

> There is zero reason for us to avoid putting deflate into the default
> configuration.

> It is also very arguable that we should leave it off.

Having trouble reconciling these statements. I sympathize with the
position that the pros outweigh the cons [of deflate in the default
conf], but not that there aren't any cons.  I think there's a lot of
prerequisite work to be done before enabling this on the type of
unsuspecting users who wouldn't have ever thought about it in the
first place (the beneficiaries).

I still strongly disagree that lack of deflate in the "default build"
or default conf is a significant gate.

> I think others have
> argued well to enable it by default, while you've simply dismissed them with
> your holier-than-thou attitude and lack of any solid rationale.

I see the thread differently, notably with respect to where it started
and what you quoted.  But I appreciate your opinion nonetheless.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com