httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <>
Subject Re: Enhanced error log format for trunk?
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2010 12:37:43 GMT
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Rainer Jung <> wrote:

> I repeatedly inserted millisecond or microsecond timestamps as well as PID
> and thread ID information into the ErrorLog when trying to diagnose
> problems, most often in combination with additional log lines.
> Due to the increased load and capability of systems and increasing amount
> of concurrency, would those features be interesting by default?

I realize it is a bit late for this...

> 1) Sub-second timestamps in error log
> 2) PID and thread ID
> 4) General correlation improvements
> To be able to correlate error and access log, it would be helpful to share
> a common id, e.g. the unique_id, and be able to log it in both files. The id
> generated by mod_unique_id comes too late though (post_read_request). Since
> it actually only uses the request timestamp and the connection id of the
> request, it could be calculated much earlier.

Apologies if I misunderstand what is already committed...  (swamped)

Any thoughts about making this extra information configurable?  (Would you
want your prefork error log to have a different format than your worker
error log, for example? (thread id)  Would you even want you httpd 2.4 error
log to have a different format from your 1.3-2.2 error log, at least until
you can update any parsing scripts?

Any thoughts about modules being able to control some or all of this extra

A real world example would be a system (perhaps a set of products with
common logging standards) with its own request correlation (some unique id)
which is already implemented by many components.  It is important for the
Apache logs to use that particular id.

View raw message