httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group" <ruediger.pl...@vodafone.com>
Subject RE: Fast by default
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 12:50:16 GMT

________________________________

	From: Greg SteinSent: Dienstag, 1. Juni 2010 14:40
	To: dev@httpd.apache.org
	Subject: Re: Fast by default

	Geez, Eric. No wonder people don't want to contribute to httpd, when they run into an attitude
like yours. That dismissiveness makes me embarressed for our community.

	There is zero reason for us to avoid putting deflate into the default configuration.

	It is also very arguable that we should leave it off. I think others have argued well to
enable it by default, while you've simply dismissed them with your holier-than-thou attitude
and lack of any solid rationale.

	And others have argued well to leave it off by default. My personal opinion is that we should
leave it disabled by default for the reasons (CPU, Proxies, Browser behaviour, ETAG problem)
mentioned by others.

	Regards

	Rüdiger

	-g

		On May 31, 2010 8:06 PM, "Eric Covener" <covener@gmail.com> wrote:

		On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Bryan McQuade <bmcquade@google.com> wrote:
		> I propose providing an...

		An additional httpd.conf doesn't sound valuable to me.  What slice of
		non-savvy users would scrutinize an alternate config file, can replace
		the config file of their webserver, isn't using a webserver packaged
		by their OS, and wouldn't have just gotten the same information today
		from the manual and 400,000 other websites?

		There's currently no <ifModule> bloat in the default conf, but you're
		welcome to submit a patch that adds one for deflate or expires (latter
		seems more unwise to me). See the "supplemental configuration" section
		of the generated config.

		This doesn't address mass-vhost companies failing to allow deflate
		because it's not in the no-args HTTPD ./configure , which sounds
		far-fetched to me.  I can't recall a users@ or #httpd user implying
		being subjected to such a thing with their own build or with cheap
		hosting.

		--

		Eric Covener
		covener@gmail.com