httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: C as config
Date Sat, 05 Jun 2010 08:25:01 GMT

On 5 Jun 2010, at 03:18, Dennis J. wrote:

> The nginx syntax may look C-like but it really isn't at all. For one thing it's declarative
and then you have all kinds of weird behaviors with variables and control structures that
make no sense if you're coming from C-like angle.

> I think what Brian is really aiming for is an actual procedural configuration that basically
gets executed when a request arrives. Something along the line of:

> function handleReq( req ) {
>  if( req.domain ~ www.test.com ) {
>     documentRoot("/sites/test");
>     customLog("/var/log/test.log","combined");
>     return true;
>  }
> }

mod_perl springs to mind as offering that kind of thing since the year dot.

In trunk we have <If "..expr.."> for the above kind of construct.  Should at least be

an improvement on hacking programmatic config with only single-IF and GOTO
as provided by mod_rewrite.

--
Nick Kew