httpd-dev mailing list archives

From jean-frederic clere <>
Subject Re: Missing proxy_balancer feature
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2010 12:34:49 GMT
On 06/30/2010 04:17 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> Yet again, in class another student pointed out that the Enabled/Disabled
> choice in mod_proxy_balancer totally ignores the concept of quiescing,
> where we are taking a server offline, but continuing to serve those
> requests targeted by session to that server.  Once the number of sessions
> settles on something quite low, the user then takes that server offline
> entirely and the remaining users are subjected to 'expired session' results.
> A boolean Enabled/Disabled flag doesn't address this need.
> Does anyone feel like working on this feature, since those I had
> previously approached didn't have all that much interest, or got
> busy with other things?

There are several things that requires improvements:
1 - The default load balancing logic doesn't work well when you restart
a back-end node.

2 - Nothing from the shared information is persisted so a restart may
have weird effect.

3 - Additionally the forward and reserve proxy logic are mixed togother
so it makes hard to change anything.

With mod_cluster ( I have a balancer
which accepts dynamic configuration (and persist it if needed).
If there is enough interest I could extent code already in ASF (slotmem,
mod_serf and heartbeat as well as httpd-proxy-scoreboard) to reach a
similar features: basically a bunch of slotmems that will be filled
"dynamically" use to create the worker and the routing decisions (a kind
of dynamic ProxyPass table).

View raw message