httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Ruggeri <DRugg...@primary.net>
Subject Re: Missing proxy_balancer feature
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2010 02:47:44 GMT
> Yet again, in class another student pointed out that the Enabled/Disabled
> choice in mod_proxy_balancer totally ignores the concept of quiescing,
> where we are taking a server offline, but continuing to serve those
> requests targeted by session to that server.  Once the number of sessions
> settles on something quite low, the user then takes that server offline
> entirely and the remaining users are subjected to 'expired session' results.
>
> A boolean Enabled/Disabled flag doesn't address this need.
>
> Does anyone feel like working on this feature, since those I had
> previously approached didn't have all that much interest, or got
> busy with other things?

William;
    I actually wrote a patch in response to a submitted bug (48841) in
April that will set the load factor to zero for a member. With a zero
lbfactor, only items coming through with a sticky session are sent to
that back end. I was hoping for comments from other devs about the
method used, though, because I had to resort to a const (aka magic
number) because of compiler oddness. In one specific case I can recall
with the SUN C compiler, when lbfactor was not set, a check for lbfactor
being equal to zero would return true... gcc did not replicate the same
bug (null/undef is NOT 0 after all). This was only used during the
configuration stage and the initialization of the balancer.

    I hope this helps suit your needs and that I understood the
question. If I'm on the right track, but there are qualms with the
implementation, I'll happily adjust the work.

Thanks
--
Daniel Ruggeri