httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Guenter Knauf <fua...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MPM sizing defaults and config
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2010 00:27:07 GMT
Hi,
Am 16.06.2010 00:37, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:

>>> ThreadStackSize seems a bit dicey, would rather see 128k default.
>>
>> Because it is the only MPM with non system default used, I wondered
>> whether there's a bit of history behind that value.
>
> I'm certain :)  Guenter?  Brad?
well, I dont think a higher ThreadStackSize can hurt much beside higher
memory usage (which shouldnt be an issue nowadays). I cant tell why we
have 64k as default, but I can tell that this is 8 times as much as what
our linker uses by default if you dont specify a stacksize, so brobably
it was just a value which Brad thought would be enough when he ported
2.0 to NetWare ...; also IIRC 8k was way too less for modules like
mod_rewrite ... - but everything else seems to be coded cleaner so that
every greater memory block is aloocated rather than pushed on stack.
Also I can add that for mysql I use 128k too since had probs with the
testsuite where some tests crashed with 64k. So in general I consider a
higher stackzise more safe for bad coding where hughe memory blocks are
pushed on the stack.
But lets also hear what Brad thinks - anyway its here only a config file
change.

Gün.