httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: MPM sizing defaults and config
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2010 21:09:47 GMT
As a broad general question - why not equivalent number of MaxClients
across all MPMs?

On 6/15/2010 4:03 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:
> The default configuration for various MPMs
> differs from the example configuration file
> conf/extra/httpd-mpm.conf.
>
> Before bringing those two in sync, I want
> to propose the values we want to use as new
> defaults as well as for the extras configuration
> file.
>
> Prefork
> =======            conf  default   proposed
> StartServers          5        5          5
> MinSpareServers       5        5          3
> MaxSpareServers      10       10         15
> MaxClients          150      256        256
> MaxRequestsPerChild   0    10000          0

This seems bursty - can't we raise MaxSpare to at least 50?

> Worker/Event
> ============       conf  default   proposed
> StartServers          2        3          2
> MinSpareThreads      25       75         25
> MaxSpareThreads      75      250        100
> MaxClients          150      400        400
> ThreadsPerChild      25       25         25
> MaxRequestsPerChild   0    10000          0

If threaded, and stable, why not some 50 or 100 threads per child?

> Simple
> ======             conf  default   proposed
> SimpleProcCount       5        5          5?
> SimpleThreadCount     5        5          5?
>
> WinNT
> =====              conf  default   proposed
> ThreadsPerChild     150       64        150
> MaxRequestsPerChild   0        0          0

+1

ThreadStackSize could probably be cut to 128k default (256k processwide-default).

> Netware
> =======            conf  default   proposed
> StartThreads        250       50         50
> MinSpareThreads      25       10         25
> MaxSpareThreads     250      100        100
> MaxThreads         1000     2048       1000
> MaxRequestsPerChild   0        0          0
> ThreadStackSize   65536    65536      65536
> MaxMemFree          100        0          - (remove)

ThreadStackSize seems a bit dicey, would rather see 128k default.

> OS2
> ===                conf  default   proposed
> StartServers          2        2          2
> MinSpareThreads       5        5          5
> MaxSpareThreads      10       10         20
> MaxRequestsPerChild   0    10000          0

ThreadsPerChild?