httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <>
Subject Re: Enhanced error log format for trunk?
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2010 20:38:16 GMT
On 03.06.2010 16:49, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 June 2010, Rainer Jung wrote:
>> 4) General correlation improvements
>> To be able to correlate error and access log, it would be helpful
>> to share a common id, e.g. the unique_id, and be able to log it in
>> both files. The id generated by mod_unique_id comes too late
>> though (post_read_request). Since it actually only uses the
>> request timestamp and the connection id of the request, it could
>> be calculated much earlier.
> I have thought about this before, but I wanted to get the per-module
> loglevel configuration into trunk first.
> The log id could be created by the first call to ap_log_rerror. If
> there has not been an errorlog entry for a request by the time of the
> log transaction hook, the corresponding field in the access log would
> just be "-".

That's an interesting idea, making it pretty trivial to filter those
lines, that have any error log entries.

> The function creating the log id could also log some interesting
> information once per request, instead of logging it for every log
> line. For example PID/TID, local+remote IP+Port, number of keep-alives
> on the connection, ...

Hmmm, but some basics should stay on each line, otherwise it's to much
hassle collection stuff (or we provide a script). Being able to
correlate between access and error log is nice, being forced to
correlate inside the error log to collect the data is not so nice.

> But I think a shorter id than the 20+ bytes of the unique id would be
> sufficient in most cases, and cause less disk space usage. I guess it
> would be good enough if the id is unique for one httpd instance in one
> day.

> Of course, if mod_unique_id is loaded, its long unique id could
> be used.

Do you already have any code fragments for that?

View raw message