httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <>
Subject Re: Module build defaults for trunk
Date Sun, 06 Jun 2010 22:32:46 GMT
On 03.06.2010 13:30, Rainer Jung wrote:
> Reading the feedback on the modules list I posted got me into thinking:
> 1) Should static module linking be still the default for httpd building?
> 2) Which pre-cooked sets of modules to provide via configure?
> Currently the default set (no configure flags) is a mixture of "minimal"
> and some additional modules likely because their APACHE_MODULE m4 was
> copied.
> Then there is "most", "all" and the possibility to enable or disable
> individual modules.
> I wonder whether some notion of "most" would be a better build default -
> but maybe not enabling the built modules by default.
> So there would be "most" (default), "all" and "minimal".

I commited the following changes:

- build modules dynamic by default
   Except when APR does not support DSO and except
   for the modules marked as "static" in m4 (so, core, http)

- build "most" module set by default.
   Alternatives are:
   - all
   - few (same set as was default before the change)
   - none

- add flag enable-mods-static

- keep flag enable-mods-shared for compat with existing build scripts

I also adjusted the docs a bit, because of these changes.

Possible next steps:

- Optimize the sets "most" (=default), "all" and "few"

- Decide about the term "few"
   I didn't use minimal, because I think minimal is equal to
   none (from a logics poinbt of view minimal means no module at all).

- Do we really want three switches, -enable-modules (now: shared),
   -enable-mods-shared (for comapt reasons) and -enable-mods-static?

- Enable dynamic MPM building by default.

View raw message