httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail T." <mi+t...@aldan.algebra.com>
Subject Qs on the post_config hook, restarts
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2010 19:36:22 GMT
Hello!

Various sources suggest, the hook can be called several times -- could
someone summarize those times for the record?

For example, it appears, that upon start-up the hook is called once to
"check the syntax" and then again -- for real. Mod-developers can check
by recording previous invocations with apr_pool_userdata_set()
(although, really, there should be some other mechanism).

Ok. Now, what about the "graceful restarts"? The hook is called again,
understandably, but only once, right?

Now, when should a module free() its malloc()-ed memory and do other
clean-up between restarts? It would seem, that the same process (the
master httpd) is doing the dlopen() of the module upon every restart and
thus its memory-use should be continuously growing...

My module, at least, is using some external libraries, so I can't rely
on the apr_pools for clean-ups. How do I know, when to free-up the
resources I've allocated?

Thanks!

    -mi