httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: C as config
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:05:21 GMT
On 16 Jun 2010, at 10:45 AM, Joe Orton wrote:

>> There is already mod_buffer in trunk. From reading the docs, it
>> should
>> be suitable for this purpose. Or is it missing some functionality?
>
> You can get many of the benefits of using a memory buffer in the
> output
> filter chain very cheaply by increasing SendBufferSize, without the
> extra overhead of an extra filter.

This won't help you when you have many small file buckets, which is
what you get when you put a forest of mod_include directives into a
file. Each of the (in our worst case 500 or so) file buckets is
happily sent out using SENDFILE, one after the other, in tiny chunks
on the wire. This same problem can occur in any dynamic application
doing a lot of small writes.

Regards,
Graham