httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sergey Chernyshev <sergey.chernys...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fast by default
Date Sun, 30 May 2010 05:40:07 GMT

Eric, thanks for your reply. I think my htaccess definitely does not
represent ideal configuration and that's why I'm trying to bring it up here
so together we can come up with a good solution to help people have faster
sites.

Wouldn't you agree that deflate has all reasons to be on a default
configuration? it saves people lots of traffic and is among first in every
best practices list out there:
- Yahoo: http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html#gzip
- Google:
http://code.google.com/speed/page-speed/docs/payload.html#GzipCompression

Here's the article about the compression and how it affects the performance:
http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2009/11/use-compression-to-make-web-faster.html

I checked and it seems that http://httpd.apache.org/ is using gzip
compression - why you think other people (with less control over their
servers) shouldn't get it by default?!

Same is true for Expires as well:
- Yahoo: http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html#expires
- Google:
http://code.google.com/speed/page-speed/docs/caching.html#LeverageBrowserCaching

Here's my article explaining why expiration is solving "caching problem"
people are having and helps load static content once without re-requesting
it from the server waisting connections for pointless 304s:
http://www.sergeychernyshev.com/blog/caching-problem-no-more-svn-assets/

There are numerous books written about performance and all of them talk
about these two aspects in one way or another.

BTW, I always build Apaches from the source and before writing to the list,
I downloaded the latest versions and checked - none of the three modules I
mentioned are enabled by default in the default build configuration file. If
I'm wrong, just let me know and I'll go and celebrate ;)

> --
> Eric Covener
> covener@gmail.com

I absolutely agree that .htaccess is not the right way to go and affects
backend performance, let's replace that with functionality in the core -
people are forced to use .htaccess and create things like "drop-in .htaccess
file" because core does not support fundamental functionality by default!

The problem with caching is that whole world is downloading content over and
over again while it didn't change - useful download rate is terrible. And
the problem right now is that people have very little control over caching
process, they don't know the lifetime of their assets and so on.

There is a lot to do in application to manage the assets, but without having
ability to control expiration, there is not much people can do - php-based
handlers that output cache control and expiration headers are definitely not
a good replacement for a core web server functionality.

Let's figure out how to help people with their Apaches and not make fun of
each other.

Thank you,

           Sergey

Cheers