httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Solving util_mutex pain?
Date Thu, 20 May 2010 23:32:03 GMT
On 5/17/2010 9:15 AM, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> mod_mutex looks fine to me, but I'm not so happy that we're optimizing
> the situation for unbundled modules that want to use a new API with
> old 2.2.x, at the expense of existing bundled modules that may
> potentially require mutex configuration and should be able to do so
> using the streamlined API with zero migration impact.

My concern is promoting the httpd 2.3 API to module authors.  They are concerned
that 2.2 users are their audience, plus perhaps 2.0 users, and 2.4 users in the
not-too-distant future.

This makes porting to new 2.4 features less attractive.  mod_mutex seeks to
minimize this downside for module developers.  Doing so for

If your interest is allowing 'Mutex' control of existing 2.2 core mutexes, may
I suggest we still deal with the external use of the 'Mutex' directive as a
module component, since the alternative is that 2.2.16 users could take
advantage of it, but it would conflict with 2.2.15 users installing this
support as a component.