httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Solving util_mutex pain?
Date Tue, 04 May 2010 19:16:26 GMT
Here's a backport vote to 2.2 for your consideration;

It is far too painful to adopt the new Mutex directive for modules targeting
httpd 2.2 and future 2.3.  The solution, I believe, is to provide the mutex
directive for all developers to use, and simply not adopt it within httpd itself
until our jump to 2.4 happens.

To that end, I've hacked together
  http://people.apache.org/wrowe/mod_mutex.c
  http://people.apache.org/wrowe/util_mutex.h
which I'm propose we adopt for inclusion in both our httpd 2.2 and 2.0 trees under
'experimental/', and default to build 'most' (effectively, an ever present no-op,
until they add an external module that relies on it).

If this is accepted, it would become a prereq for users adopting new releases
of mod_fcgid or mod_ftp.  You can review the source code to see how badly we
need a simpler solution;
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/httpd/mod_fcgid/trunk/modules/fcgid/fcgid_mutex_unix.c?view=markup&pathrev=885868
- of course the user of a slightly
older 2.2.x or 2.0.x could simply build mod_mutex with apxs and then their module,
and they also must install util_mutex.h for dependent module builds to succeed.

So please review and opine...

  +/-1
  [  ]  Adopt mod_mutex.c on httpd 2.2.x svn branch
  [  ]  Adopt mod_mutex.c on httpd 2.0.x svn branch