httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <>
Subject Re: OpenBSD & the Apache license problem. Why?
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2010 12:51:05 GMT
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Tasos Andras <> wrote:
> I really wonder why you Apache guys did this:

Did what, released our software under a license of our choosing?

> A news from 2004:
> It is 2010 now, and we're still on Apache 1.3.29. What was that license problem?

Ask someone who objects to the license?  Or do your homework before
before you start a thread questioning the license?

> Let OpenBSD dev guys edit/improve/modify it however they like, please.
> (Well, unless they won't change the 'Apache' httpd header)

Like everyone else, they can do whatever they please as long as they
abide by the license.

> Freedom? Free? If "free", then make it "free for everyone, every
> community, every people" please. Otherwise it is not "free" anymore.

I respect your personal opinion/desires about what software freedom
means, but seeing as how you don't know what the actual license
objection is, it's pretty odd that you've been able to come to a
conclusion.  You're always free to create your own webserver, and
license it under your own Platitudes License 2.0.

> Oh, by the way, what was your answer for:
> "There is a number of serious security problems in apache that we have
> fixed, and that have been offered them back, and they refused."
> @

Why would there be an 'answer' to a) a statement and b) something that
was posted on somebody elses mailing list?

> May i know what did you refuse and why did you refuse?

You'd have to refer to a specific bug report, patch, mailing list
reference, or at least a specific issue for anyone to comment
intelligently -- especially if this 6+ years ago.

This is probably more on-topic at the users discussion list unless
there's an actual question about the development of Apache HTTP

Eric Covener

View raw message