httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: HTTP trailers?
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:01:50 GMT
On 4/23/2010 10:25 AM, Brian J. France wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2010, at 10:08 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>
>> On 4/23/2010 9:03 AM, Brian J. France wrote:
>>>
>>> You can build a module that is able to insert a trailer by adding a filter and
ap_hook_create_request call.

>> But doesn't this defeat the purpose of using a modular server
>> architecture?  It seems this should be a facility of the core HTTP
>> filter, if anyone wants to offer the patch for 2.3.
>

> I agree, my module was more of a proof of concept that I can do it and then get some
other server to able able to use it.

:)

> Not sure what the best solution would be because multiple things need to happen.  First
part is you have to force chunk encoding either by removing content_length filter or tweaking
the code to not add it if doing a trailer (which you might not know until it is time to insert
a tailer).

Well, you also have to insert the 'Trailers' header, which must be known at the
beginning of the request, so that becomes a simple trigger for dropping the
content-length and forcing chunked encoding.

"If no Trailer header field is present, the trailer SHOULD NOT include any header
fields" is a very explicit statement :)

This could be constructed from r->trailers_out, however users need to understand
that after the beginning of the response, r->trailers out cannot be extended, only
modified.

> Then you have to tweak modules/http/chunk_filter.c to allow others to insert a trailer,
like adding a ap_hook_http_trailer or a optional function for inserting it.  I don't know
if multiple modules should be allowed to add a trailer, if you do how to you join them since
a trailer is nothing but a string ending with ASCII_CRLF (just strcat?).  Should we just grab
r->notes['http_trailer'] and let modules just add/set/append values?

> I think there is a bigger design discussion that should happen, but I might have a patch
down the road as a starter if all goes well at work.

These pieces seem more like implementation details.