httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about LoadModule inside <VirtualHost> container
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 17:21:20 GMT
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:
> On 19 Mar 2010, at 6:58 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
>> LoadFile and LoadModule should both ensure that they're coded at
>> global scope, or report a configuration error.  That logic was added
>> to the 1.3 branch but lost in 2.0 and later.
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=87244
>>
>> I'll fix trunk.
>
> -1, please don't.
>
> We are trying to educate our users to declare modules just before they
> attempt to use them, instead of enabling every single module under the sun
> globally, and then suffering the performance penalty of doing so. The nett
> effect is the server is never bigger than it needs to be at any given time.
>
> The ability to load modules in a virtual host allows you to do this, and is
> an entirely valid configuration:

We came to the same conclusion ("don't") but via a different path.

The LoadModule directive is already provided the global server_rec in
the command_rec structure, whether or not it appears inside a
<VirtualHost *>, by virtue of the EXEC_ON_READ flag.  So using an
expected server_rec for LoadModule doesn't seem to be the cause of
Rich's problem symptom, and the usual code to disable a directive
inside <VirtualHost > doesn't work/isn't needed.

I don't know what caused the weird symptoms.