httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Per-module loglevel configuration
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:00:17 GMT
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Stefan Fritsch <sf@sfritsch.de> wrote:
> here is the second version of my patch to allow per-module loglevel
> configuration. It's available at:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~sf/per-module-loglevel-v2/

Any thoughts about allowing the conn_rec to hold a logging config
structure which would be consulted when the conn_rec is available, in
order to allow different logging levels per client (whether
implemented by core or by another module)?

It could be very helpful to enable the most verbose logging in a
production system only for a certain debug/administrative client.  (In
general, this setup would allow a module to implement all sorts of log
level adjustments in a pre-connection hook.)

> As it's rather big, I have split it into separate logical patches. I
> hope this makes it easier to review:
>
> 0001 Add macro wrappers for ap_log_*error
> 0002 Introduce log levels trace1/.../trace8
> 0003 Introduce SSLLOG_MARK, in preparation to redefine APLOG_MARK
> 0004 move find module logic into separate function
> 0005 Introduce per module log levels
> 0006 Adjust mod_ssl logging to make it compile again
> 0007 define APLOG_MODULE_INDEX in module files
> 0008 define APLOG_MODULE_INDEX in core files and remove default
> definition of APLOG_MODULE_INDEX
> 0009 Replace LogLevelDebugDump with TRACE log levels
> 0010 Replace DumpIOLogLevel with trace log level
> 0011 Replace RewriteLog/RewriteLogLevel with trace log levels
>
> As I wrote in the mail to Graham, I didn't have time to work on the
> per-directory loglevel configuration. But even without it, this patch
> is quite an improvement, IMHO.

Perhaps satisfying per-directory log level and per-client log level
requirements aren't really that different.  (Look in r->logcfg then
c->logcfg then s->logcfg to find the logging config.)