httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r925858 - in /httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x: CHANGES STATUS docs/manual/mod/core.xml server/config.c
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2010 22:10:58 GMT
On 21 Mar 2010, at 10:14 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> No-match of a wildcard must result in an error.  If you are arguing
> that httpd
> should allow the admin to create conf/vhosts/*, only populated if
> they are created,
> then I'll counter that would be fine, just populate conf/vhosts/
> empty.conf with no
> lines, the error would go away, and supporting no-matches is never
> necessary.

In the wild I see that pattern all the time, a configuration directory
containing some equivalent of empty.conf, to work around this
limitation. Without this empty.conf file, you run the opposite risk -
someone removing the last config file from a directory, and the server
suddenly stops working without warning. In our case, web applications
are packaged as RPMs, so it's entirely possible for a directory to
become empty without warning when an RPM is uninstalled.

As a result, enforcing no-match == fail doesn't buy you anything at all.

I don't have strong opinions either way, the empty.conf directorie in
our case are already present, so changing this isn't too much of a
problem - I just need to get some sleep first.

Regards,
Graham