httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r925858 - in /httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x: CHANGES STATUS docs/manual/mod/core.xml server/config.c
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:10:41 GMT
On 29 Mar 2010, at 2:39 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> Of course it does, look past the code.  Look at the impact of this
> patch.
>
> Past;
>
> /etc/httpd.d/*.conf  #works

/etc/httpd.d/*.cnof # succeeds, in spite of typo

> /etc/htppd.d/*.conf  #errors out for typo
>
> New;
>
> /etc/httpd*/*.conf  #works
> /etc/htppd*/*.conf  #succeeds, in spite of typo

Exactly, behaviour entirely consistent with and unchanged from past
behaviour, as shown above.

> All it takes to make a bad path into a successful path is a wildcard.
> This is a demonstrable change in behavior, and is more arbitrary than
> the current configuration syntax.
>
> Working on patch to your commit 909878 that errors out when no files
> match
> whatsoever.

As you already suggested, if you want to change the behaviour of
Include, then use another directive for this, like IncludeStrict. I
have no objection at to us supporting both strict and non strict
behaviour at the same time, on condition we do it consistently.

Being arbitrarily strict in one wildcard element in a path, and then
non strict in another wildcard element in the same path makes no sense
at all, and that would not only genuinely confuse people, but create
configurations that work by accident as people would assume quite
sensibly that an accepted no-match on a wildcard file would mean an
accepted no-match on a wildcard directory.

Regards,
Graham