httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r925858 - in /httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x: CHANGES STATUS docs/manual/mod/core.xml server/config.c
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2010 00:50:23 GMT
On 3/21/2010 7:16 PM, Dan Poirier wrote:
> On 2010-03-21 at 16:14, "William A. Rowe Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
>> No-match of a wildcard must result in an error.
>
> Why?  It doesn't before this change.  E.g.
>
> Include /existingdirectory/nosuchfile*.conf
>
> starts without error, and that seems fine to me - the directive says to
> include all files matching that pattern, and all zero files that match
> are indeed included.

It does not seem fine to perpetuate this approach, in that it results in
far more lost troubleshooting hours and stupid users/support questions
than it gains.  I suggest nothing is gained, that a placeholder file couldn't
accomplish.

The existing behavior of your example is much easier to debug and catch the
config error than the new feature introduces, which adds typos or spelling
errors to the directory path, or the miscount of directory depth, etc, etc.

A prerequisite of putting an out an empty that matches the pattern doesn't
seem onerous, is it?  It forces the administrator to be deliberate in their
configuration, to complete that configuration with an explict new file.

Otherwise, Include conf/nothere.conf should be allowed; after all they might
want to move this file out of the way without causing an error.  But that
would be a foolish feature, as is permitting no files to match a wildcard.