httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Poirier <poir...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r906779 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/manual/configuring.xml
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2010 12:51:46 GMT
[Moving discussion from dev@ to docs@httpd.apache.org]

On Fri, Feb  5, 2010, at 06:57:58 AM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:48 PM,  <poirier@apache.org> wrote:
>> +    <p>Only environment variables defined before the server is started
>> +    can be used in expansions.  Variables defined in the
>> +    configuration file itself, for example with <directive
>> +    module="mod_env">SetEnv</directive>, take effect too late to be
>> +    used for expansions in the configuration file.</p>
>
> I think the "take effect too late..." wording supports the common
> confusion that OS-level environment variables and those server
> variables that are set in the environment of sub-processes are
> essentially the same thing.
>
> I don't know what the magic distinguishing words are.  Perhaps "OS
> environment variable," with a link to a new glossary entry, should be
> used in the appropriate places?  The glossary entry for Environment
> variable describes the difference but doesn't introduce unique
> terminology for the two types of variables
> (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/glossary.html#environmentvariable.

I agree that it's still ambiguous or even misleading. I played with
trying to expand on that, but couldn't come up with wording I liked last
night.

It would definitely help to have unique terminology.  Maybe "operating
system environment variables" for the ones set outside the server in the
OS, and "server environment variables" for the ones set inside the
server?  There's still some possible confusion because the "server"
variables become operating system environment variables for CGI scripts,
though.

If we can find consensus on terminology, I'll update the glossary and
the env page <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/env.html>, and try to
find and disambiguate as many references as I can find and link back to
the glossary.

Dan