httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r910017 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES docs/manual/filter.xml docs/manual/mod/allmodules.xml docs/manual/mod/mod_reflector.xml modules/filters/config.m4 modules/filters/mod_reflector.c
Date Mon, 15 Feb 2010 21:35:55 GMT
On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:
> On 15 Feb 2010, at 3:40 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
>>> Can you speak up and explain why it shouldn't?
>>
>> AFAICT you're the only one in the world that cares about it (whether
>> or not that is true; there's been no discussion).
>
> Did you not see rpluem's response and my response to it? Did you not see
> fuankg's addition to the Netware build? I count two people so far who cared
> enough to contribute, and that's just in the last 24 hours. Why did you not
> join these discussions?

I saw that.  I did not equate that to an indication that those
individuals had reflected on the module and agreed that it belonged in
the base distribution.

> There is no greater disincentive to working on the httpd project than this
> kind of response. Making it worse, instead of making a case yourself, you
> simply solicit others to make your case for you. When a potential
> contributor reads this thread and others like it, all they see is that their
> contribution is not welcome here, they quietly unsubscribe and the httpd
> project suffers as a result.

The nature of my interest is to find out if multiple developers are
interested in this module being part of the base distribution.  Yes,
that involves soliciting others.  (Whether I asked them to make a case
for the module or against it is another question.)

>> All I really care is that multiple developers think it is a good idea
>> to include it in the base distribution.  (If not, then I don't think
>> it should be here.)
>
> I am confident that if multiple developers believe it shouldn't be, then
> those multiple developers will speak for themselves. It is in extremely poor
> taste to actively try to solicit developers to speak out against somebody's
> contribution. Let the community speak for itself.

We're talking about two different things.  Finding a couple of other
people that think inclusion is a good idea (EXTREMELY LOW BARRIER TO
ENTRY) is much different than finding a couple of other people that
think inclusion is not a good idea or otherwise will speak out against
it (EXTREMELY HIGH BARRIER TO ENTRY).