httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: r->connection->remote_ip and mod_remoteip
Date Sat, 06 Feb 2010 00:36:49 GMT
On 2/5/2010 4:35 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:

> ideally there should be a value r->remote_ip, populated initially from
> connection->remote_ip, which a request can change at will, and that will
> go away when the request is finished. Modules that want to do access
> control, etc should rather look in r->remote_ip instead of
> r->connection->remote_ip.

I can almost guarantee that porters will not catch this delta between 2.2
and 2.4.  If anything, rather than growing either request_rec or conn_rec,
these structures need some fundamental simplification and rethinking.

They are 20 year dumping grounds of whatever struck someone's fancy at
the time, irrespective of other per-module options for storing data that
is not universally interesting.

I'd wholeheartedly agree with your concern if http was a bidi protocol
requiring connections from the server back to the client, but that isn't
the case.  remote_ip is informative, not canonical.

Do we want an indication of whether remote_host has been transformed to
a name, or inferred from context?  That might be a good addition to the
remote_* members of this tracking class.