httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: mod_proxy_http ignores errors from ap_pass_brigade(r->output_filters)
Date Thu, 11 Feb 2010 19:47:43 GMT

On Feb 10, 2010, at 11:34 PM, Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group wrote:

> [...]

You are correct that filters should be returning apr status codes and
not http status codes, thanks for pointing that out. I'm still a little
concerned about how this is supposed to work though, since it seems like
the mod_proxy_http handler behaves differently than the default handler.

The default handler will return HTTP_INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR if the
output filter stack returns an error (unless r->status or c->aborted
are set); while the proxy handler will return an OK when this happens.
The problem here is that when this happens, if there were no buckets
passed down the output filter stack, then Apache just hangs up on the
client and produces nothing, when it should probably be producing a
500 error. Is this supposed to happen?

Also, I don't see many modules that are passing error buckets when they
have errors in their filters. Most appear to return errors which will
probably be ignored if run from underneath mod_proxy. There are only
a few that create error buckets and pass them though (I only found
mod_ext_filter, byterange_filter, proxy_util, and the core http_filter).

Thanks,
-aaron