httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r905406 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES docs/manual/mod/mod_include.xml modules/filters/mod_include.c
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2010 22:03:36 GMT
On 01 Feb 2010, at 11:24 PM, Nick Kew wrote:

> However, given what you've implemented, I think it would perhaps
> benefit from a third state for ETag and Last-Modified.  Namely,
> allow both force-set and force-unset, as well as do-nothing
> (the default).  Just reading your docs patch, there appears to
> be no force-unset, yet that's something you might need where
> mod_include invalidates headers set by an app or backend.

The patch has two real states, either remove the headers (off, the
default and current behaviour) or leave the headers alone completely
and make caching work (on). The off state is the same as current
behaviour so that it can be backported to v2.2 (where it needs to be
used for me).

mod_include really shouldn't be trying to set the headers at all, so I
don't think force-set makes much sense. Last-Modified shouldn't be set
by the underlying handler, not mod_include, and the same for ETag.
Unsetting the headers on the other hand does make sense, if the
content is uncacheable.

For v2.4, simplifying all of this stuff would be a good idea, once
v2.2 is put to bed.

Regards,
Graham