httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail T." <mi+t...@aldan.algebra.com>
Subject Re: reopening of logs without restarting
Date Fri, 22 Jan 2010 19:24:07 GMT
22.01.2010 14:18, Graham Leggett написав(ла):
> What you're probably after are piped logs:
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/logs.html#piped
>
> If you pipe the log to something like cronolog, cronolog is able to
> rotate logs for you without needing to restart httpd.
Thanks for the pointer, sir. We are using cronolog now. But it is, quite
obviously, a hack -- a work-around for Apache's inability to handle
log-rotation on its own.

Being able to pipe log messages into stdin is great, but it should not
be necessary to achieve something basic as log-rotation. When logging
directly to files, it ought to be possible to reopen such files without
a full restart, however graceful.

Don't you think? Yours,

    -mi