httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jorge Schrauwen <jorge.schrau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Formal deprecation of 1.3.x branch
Date Wed, 06 Jan 2010 01:28:54 GMT
On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 12:30 AM, William A. Rowe Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Res wrote:

>>> Sadly, questions will keep on showing up for a long time :(
>>
>> I agree, however if it is EOL'd (yes Jeff, I agree this is likely more
>> of an appropriate term :) ) you more or less can advise the requestor
>> they are using a very old and unsupported version and that they should
>> use the current stable version 2.2.xx
>
> These questions aren't a bother on an established 1.3 server, we all have
> to support legacy systems.
>
> What is frightening is the number of users who are clearly deploying their
> httpd server with 1.3, for the first time, and trying to learn that.  Almost
> want to suggest to them that they go take a community college class on COBOL
> while they are at it, since they are clearly trying to improve their technical
> knowledge.  Heh

You could just put a anti troll like system where you ask a question
only someone who's used 1.3 for a long time would know before letting
them download. New users wouldn't be able to answer it and would be
pointed to 2.2 branch ;)
</sarc>

It's understandable that you can't just magicly update a legacy 1.3 to
a 2.x series without breaking a whole lot of stuff.
But's sadly as you say, a lot users seem to be new to httpd and still
grab 1.3 for some insane reason!

Maybe adding some form of color coding (for the non-colorblind) on the
download page, green -> current, orange/yellow -> old stable, red ->
EOL
Then again that would probably not have a big effect :(

I also think punch cards > COBAL course! That will teach em to proof
read there code before hitting compile ;)

/me off to more studying

Jorge